Marchesi Alfieri is a historic winery located in the baroque castle of San Martino Alfieri, between Asti and Alba.
Here, on the Alfieri hills, structured, complex and elegant wines have been produced since 1696 that best express the personality and character of the grapes grown in this area. Since 1983, the three sisters Emanuela, Antonella and Giovanna San Martino di San Germano have run the company.
Among the well-known names of the Alfieri family stand out the architect Benedetto, the poet Vittorio and the president of the Senate Cesare Alfieri who collaborated in the drafting of the Statuto Albertino in 1848. Giuseppina Cavour, niece of the great statesman Camillo Benso, Count of Cavour, marries the Marquis Carlo Alfieri. And it is Cavour himself who improves Piedmontese wine production and introduces Pinot Nero grapes in San Martino. In 1982 the Marquis Casimiro San Martino di San Germano, cousin of the Alfieri family, received the property, relaunching its wine production. Today his three daughters Emanuela, Antonella and Giovanna run the Marchesi Alfieri company.
From the family archives it is attested that since 1337 the land in San Martino Alfieri has been “vineati a philari”. Even today in the most beautiful sorì of the company, with vines over 70 years old, high quality grapes are produced. The total vineyard area is 21 hectares, of which 16 hectares are Barbera and the remainder is divided between Pinot Nero, Grignolino and Nebbiolo. All the vines, raised in Gujot, have a naturally selected turf over the years.